Match Report: Toronto Wolfpack vs South Wales Ironmen

Wolfpack march on in Welsh rain

IAN GOLDEN, The Wern, Saturday
TORONTO opened up in the second half in the Merthyr Tydfil rain to claim yet another routine win and maintain their 100 per cent league record.

To say the torrential downpour and greasy artificial turf affected the game is an understatement. Almost every set in the first 20 minutes ended in a scrum, and neither side were able to get a foothold – literally.

South Wales, despite their troubles off the field, tested their more experienced opponents early on and were strong in both attack and defence.

Good work by the Ironmen kept the table-topping Wolfpack out for two consecutive sets in the first five minutes and the home side were close to taking the lead on seven. But from a bright phase started by Sion Jones’ long kick upfield, Connor Farrer’s hopeful pass on the last tackle was intercepted.

From the next set, after South Wales won a scrum, Farrer was again close, but knocked on.

Hooker Farrer won the resulting scrum against the head, however another dropped ball cost his side the opening Toronto try on 15 minutes, when after his side’s upfield charge, Greg Worthington created his own gap to run over, with Craig Hall easily converting.

Jack Uren did well to catch a high bomb to stop a quick follow-up score, but on 21 minutes, the Wolfpack went over again, when Richard Whiting pounced on the loose ball after the Ironmen backline failed to collect a grubber. Hall again converted.

Toronto went 16-0 up on the half hour when USA international Ryan Burroughs crashed over, and their fourth try came on 35 minutes, when Jonny Pownall scored in the corner.

Just before the break, Worthington grabbed his second, scoring in the corner for a 24-0 advantage.

It took just four minutes of the second half for the Wolfpack to cross again, with Whiting going over wide out and Hall adding a difficult conversion.

Four minutes later, Hall’s task was more straightforward after Jack Bussey dived in underneath the sticks, then it was the turn of Ryan Bailey, who scored in the corner.

As the hour mark approached, Worthington picked up a neat kick for his hat-trick.

Stand-off Andrew Gay, the star player for South Wales on this and many a day, was held up over the line before winning his side a return set from a goal-line drop-out.

But when Toronto charged upfield again, they scored their tenth try, Hall diving over in the corner following a scrum and doing well to add the extras.

Soon after the restart, they were in again, this time Ryan Brierley sprinting down the wing to score.

Experienced Sean Penkywicz went over for a try which was improved by Hall, who then crossed for his second touchdown, again converted.


South Wales Ironmen

2 Jack Uren
25 Ieuan Jones
28 Morgan Jefferies
4 Christiaan Roets
3 Errol Carter
6 Andrew Gay
17 Zak Williams
18 Morgan Evans
9 Connor Farrer
11 Luke Nelmes
24 Connor Parker
8 Chester Butler
12 Sion Jones

Subs (all used)
7 Paul Emanuelli
30 Mike Edwards
10 Kade Breen
29 Huw Parks

Toronto Wolfpack

2 Jonny Pownall
4 Craig Hall
3 Greg Worthington
1 Quentin Laulu-Togaga’e
10 Ryan Burroughs
7 Rhys Jacks
27 Ryan Brierley
8 Fuifui Moimoi
9 Bob Beswick
10 Dan Fleming
11 Andrew Dixon
17 Richard Whiting
29 Jacob Emmitt

Subs (all used)

24 Sean Penkywicz
15 Ryan Bailey
19 Steve Crossley
13 Jack Bussey

Tries: Worthington (15, 39, 57), Whiting (21, 44), Burroughs (30), Pownall (35), Bussey (48), Bailey (52), Hall (69, 80), Brierley (72), Penkywicz (75)
Goals: Hall 7/13

Rugby Leaguer & League Express Men of the Match

Ironmen: Andrew Gay
Wolfpack: Greg Worthington

Half-time: 24-6
Referee: Nicholas Bennett
Attendance: 6973

SCORING SEQUENCE: 0-6, 0-12, 0-16, 0-20, 0-24; 0-30, 0-36, 0-40, 0-44, 0-50, 0-54, 0-60, 0-66

Air Transat 3 Stars