Match Report: Super 8s Toronto Wolfpack vs Newcastle Thunder

MITCHELL TIERNEY, Lamport Stadium. August 19, 2017

In their first ever Super8s game on home soil, the Toronto Wolfpack decisively defeated the Newcastle Thunder 50-0 at Lamport Stadium.

Just two minutes into the match Liam Kay got the crowd of 7,522 out of their seats when he spun off a tackle before touching the ball down in the corner. Craig Hall converted to give the Wolfpack an early 6-0 lead.

After that initial Wolfpack try, the Thunder enjoyed their best stretch of the game. They nearly tied the match on eight minutes when a grubber kick found its way into the Wolfpack try zone. Toronto’s Richard Whiting, however, got to the ball just in time to prevent a Newcastle try.

Toronto then doubled the lead in the 24th minute, again through Kay. The Wolfpack winger broke through on the overlap and touched down to give the Wolfpack a 10-0 lead. Hall missed the conversion from in close.

The Wolfpack again broke through the Thunder line on 33 minutes when Greg Worthington made a long downfield run. He was eventually caught, but the ball was worked across to Rhys Jacks who found a gap in the stretched Thunder line and touched down under the posts.

Hall converted Jacks’ try, and then got in on the try scoring himself moments later when he broke down the right side of the field and pushed past Lewis Young of Newcastle before barging over the try line. He converted his own try to bring the Wolfpack lead to 22-0, coincidently it was also the Toronto captain’s 22nd try of the season.

On the hooter Hall had a chance to further the Toronto lead but missed a penalty. The score remained 22-0 going into half.

Newcastle fought very hard in an attempt to cut into the Wolfpack lead early in the second half. They pushed the Wolfpack back deep into their own territory, but could not break through the Toronto defense.

The Wolfpack extended their lead further on 55 minutes’ courtesy of some hard work by Fuifui Moimoi. He charged the Newcastle line a couple of times before finally barging his way through and fighting his way over the line. Hall converted.

Kay continued his impressive match on 63 minutes when he impressively cut through a cluster of Newcastle defenders before charging down field. However, Young equalled his run and hauled down Kay before he could score.

The Toronto winger wouldn’t be denied his hat trick, however, and three minutes later dove into the corner just getting his right arm down in time before being tackled out of bounds. After a Hall conversion the Wolfpack led 32-0.

From that point it was smooth sailing for the hosts. Quentin Laulu-Togaga’e added a brace and Worthington another for a 50-0 win. This was the first time the Wolfpack have held an opponent scoreless at Lamport Stadium this season.

Toronto now has a week off before round 5 in the Super8s when they meet Whitehaven on September 2.

GAME BREAKER: On 33 minutes, Rhys Jacks extended Toronto’s lead to 16-0 after a great run from Greg Worthington. Toronto didn’t look back after that.

GAMESTAR: It seems like every time Liam Kay plays at Lamport Stadium he scores multiple tries. Today’s game was no different.



1 Quentin Laulu-Togaga’e
2 Jonny Pownall
3 Greg Worthington
4 Craig Hall (c)
5 Liam Kaye
6 Blake Wallace
7 Rhys Jacks
8 Fuifui Moimoi
9 Bob Beswick
29 Jake Emmitt
13 Jack Bussey
17 Richard Whiting
11 Andrew Dixon

Subs (all used)
10 Dan Fleming
24 Sean Penkywicz
12 James Laithwaite
21 Adam Sidlow

Tries: Kay (2, 24, 66), Jacks (33), Hall (35), Moimoi (55), Laulu-Togaga’e (66,68), Worthington (69)
Goals: Hall (7/9)


1 Lewis Young
20 Dan Parker
3 Zach Clark
4 Joe Brown (C)
5 Ali Blair
6 Tom Shaw
7 Benn Hardcastle
8 Vincent Rennie
9 Evan Simons
10 Callum Bustin
11 Harry Aldous
12 Stephen Snitch
16 Liam McAvoy

Subs (all used)
15 Sam Luckley
17 Matty Barron
18 Josh Stoker
14 Aaron Teroi

Sinbin: McAvoy 39’ (dissent)

Rugby Leaguer & League Express Men of the Match

Toronto Wolfpack: Liam Kay
Newcastle Thunder: Lewis Young

Penalty count: 8-12
Half-time: 22-0
Referee: Brandon Robinson
Attendance: 7,522

SCORING SEQUENCE: 6-0, 10-0, 16-0, 22-0, 28-0, 32-0, 38-0, 44-0, 50-0

Air Transat 3 Stars

Images from the Match